Wednesday, April 2, 2008

5. Become a Fashion Icon


Now, this one happened accidentally. I was about to give a talk to the monthly meeting of the Baton Rouge chapter of Women in Media, when I was introduced to a reporter from The Advocate, Karen Martin, who was attending the meeting. Next thing I know, she's telling me she likes what I have on and can I take your picture for my column?


(When you ask an actress if you can take her picture, the answer of course, is always 'yes':-)


Whoosh, instant Fashion Icon. I guess all those nights I spent watching Project Runway paid off.


Now, I find this pretty amusing, because I do not think of myself as a fashion icon at all, but apparently that day I'd managed to look presentable and was actually quite flattered to have been asked, and was looking forward to the column, which you can read here: Style File

The day it came out, I found out how many of my friends read the paper. About eleventy-million, I'm estimating. I was feeling kind of snappy about it when my sister (who has always kept me humble) told me everyone in her office always makes fun of the person selected: "Why were THEY chosen? WE look better than THAT! Just LOOK at that outfit!", etc. etc. I made her swear that they had to be nice that day and had a good laugh at the idea that style critics across Baton Rouge had a new person to pick apart. That's the price you pay for being a Fashion Icon, I guess.

2 comments:

Caroline said...

Quilting is a new hobby of mine that you might like to add to your 50 New Things list. Creating a small art quilt is fun, too.

MelindaSpeaks said...

Hi Caroline,

I like your suggestion...and if I hadn't already made a quilt with my grandmother as a child I'd jump on it! I think I'm going to start a master list, though, so if anyone is looking for ideas, they can go there.

Thanks for your suggestion, Caroline!