Monday, July 21, 2008

Thoughts on New

Now that I'm a little ways into my 50 New Things year, I realized a little more about what was driving it all. It's not so much about doing your Bucket List, as much as it is being open to the possibilities that surround us every day. Possibilities that could lead us to our dreams, to feeling more peaceful and fulfilled. It's so much easier sometimes to just sit on the couch, comfortable in our rut, than it is to muster energy to get out of our comfort zone. I know that for the last several months a lot of my available creative energy was happily dedicated to taking care of a friend. There are seasons to life, and there is a time to stay steady just as surely as there is a time to expand. However, I think that our own fears can hold us back from beneficial growth if we don't decide to address it.

What do we risk by trying something new? Feeling embarassed or unsure of ourselves? I think that's a very small price to pay for the reward of increased self-confidence and fulfillment that trying something new will bring.

So here's to staying open to possibilities, to putting the power of 'new' into the power of 'now.

No comments: