Thursday, January 17, 2008

What's on your list?

The question catches me off-guard.

"What are some of the things on your list?". I'm surrounded by eager faces, three women who had just heard me speak at the Baton Rouge YWCA Connections meeting on the Louisiana Film industry. At the end of my talk, I had shared with them the idea I had to celebrate my half-century year by doing 50 New Things I've Never Done Before and now, here they were, wanting to know what I'd come up with.

"Are you going to bungee jump?", one of them asked.

"Y'all," I said, "I just had the idea for this about three days ago. I don't have my list yet at all, but I'm pretty sure it won't involve bungee jumping or a trip to the tattoo parlor. I want it to be ordinary things, things that you think about doing but never do. Like give $50 away to a stranger, or volunteer at a soup kitchen."

"Oh! That's great, let us know when you're going, and we'll go with you."

Wow, I guess this idea is real! If I have people depending on me to line it up, I guess I'm going to have to follow through with my idea. I was kind of hoping a soup kitchen opportunity would fall in my lap but it looks like I'm going to have to make this happen. I liked the external motivation, honestly, and liked the idea that I might have inspired someone to come along.

No comments: